ORGLIST: nucleophilic substitution

From: stephanie (roulle.stephanie$##$wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 15:42:08 EST

Hello everybody,
I have to do a nucleophilic substitution between a primary amine and a mesylate of an alcohol. Actually I use 1eq of the mesylate alcohol and 2 eq of the amine (1 eq as base and 1 eq for the reaction).
I want to use only 1 eq of this amine but I need a base. The problem is that I don't want to do elimination, only substitution because I have an asymetry center on the carbon on beta position and I don't want to racemize.
I tied triethylamine in toluene, but I haven't good result.
If anybody can help me!!!
Thanks.

                                Stephanie