Re: ORGLIST: borohydride reduction

From: Uno Maeorg (uno$##$chem.ut.ee)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 03:17:25 EST

Hi,

There are actually many procedures for your purpose. It depends on the
structure of your ester how productive these are. The simplest one is to
add certain amount of methanol to the reaction mixture. This is described
many years ago by Soai. The other one is to use higher temperatures like
about 120 deg C in diglyme. This we used in our lab for esters of alpha,
omega-diacids.
There are also some early publications about the addition of some salts
(like Li, Ca, Zn and others) to the reaction mixture. The reducing reagent
is certainly not sodium borohydride but it is quite mild and works well.
This method needs a dry solvent.

Good luck

Dr. Uno Mäeorg