Re: ORGLIST: Help needed to purify acetonitrile!

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 00:47:21 EST

Hello Paul,

1. Are you sure of the chemical quality of the solvent (refractive
index, boiling point, acidity or basicity). Does it contain some
stabilizer (the supplier may tell)?
2. Perhaps the mentioned reagents were inactive, or only modified the
impurities without removing them, or even produced new ones at the
expense of the solvent.
3. Passing through a column of chromatographic quality active silica,
alumina or carbon may do the trick.
4. Sometimes DIY procedures are more costly than buying the solvent of
the required quality.

All the best,

Jacob