ORGLIST:Carbamate reaction

From: Jai Prakash (jpbans$##$rediffmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 13:06:29 EDT

Hello everybody,

I want to make a carbamate linkage between amine group of
2,6-dimethoxy aniline and hydroxyl group of N-Boc-ethanolamine.
Firstly, I tried to activate N-Boc-ethanolamine with
p-nitrophenylchloroformate and then reacted with 2,6-dimethoxy
aniline in the presence of base. But it did not work out.
Then, secondly, I activated 2,6-dimethoxy aniline with
p-nitrophenylchloroformate and then reacted with
N-Boc-ethanolamine in the presence of base. But still it is not
formed.
As such I am not a chemist by profession so there can be some
lacking points. So I would appreciate if somebody can suggest me
the right way to do this kind of synthesis. If there is another
way to do this reaction, please let me know.
Thanking you in advance,
Regards,
Jai