ORGLIST:Explosion Danger!

From: Witek Mozga (mozga$##$trimen.pl)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 07:19:51 EDT

Hello,

I would like to warn everybody regarding explosion during simple
reaction. I found on the orgsyn website the procedure of conversion
of amino group into disulfide:
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?rxntypeid=98&prep=CV2P0580

We decided to use this reaction to convert amino group in 2,3-
dimethylaniline into disulfide. Big explosion took place upon
addition of diazo solution to sulfide solution. The explosion was so
strong that the beaker broke into pieces and a person was injured by
them all over the body and hospitalized. Even plastic cooling bath
was destroyed. I am warning everybody as the reaction scale was not
so big, ca.10g of aniline.

Witek Mozga
TriMen Chemicals
http://www.trimen.pl/