RE: ORGLIST:No-D NMR

From: Chapman, Robert D n/a (robert.chapman$##$navy.mil)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 12:34:17 EDT

If it's the Bruker AC series, the "SWEEP OFF" button must be turned on, so that the spectrometer is not sweeping for a lock signal. (On the Avance model, which I haven't used, there is a button labelled "SWEEP," which I'm told has the opposite meaning. Presumably, it should be turned off if you do not want sweeping for a lock signal.) I've used this method of NMR analysis of nondeuterated samples routinely since at least 1989 (for example, Journal of Organic Chemistry 1998, 63, 1566 for analysis in H2SO4; more recently, for analysis in CF3SO3H). I never suspected it was worthy of describing as a new NMR "technique," but I've seen Hoye's papers too.

Robert D. Chapman, Ph.D.
Chemistry & Materials Division
Naval Air Warfare Center
China Lake, CA 93555-6106