ORGLIST:thiol to sulfonic acid oxidation

From: Witek Mozga (mozga$##$trimen.pl)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 07:26:02 EDT

Hi,

I asked a question some time ago about oxidation of sulfide to
sulfone. I received many responses, they are still on the web if you
need them: http://www.trimen.pl/~mozga/sulfide_to_sulfone.html.

Today I would like to obtain some confirmation from you that those
methods are suitable for oxidation of thiols (-SH) to sulfonic acids
(-SO3H), too. What do you think?

I know one method that involves bubbling chlorine through a solution
of thiol in acetic acid to give sulfonyl chloride. I tested it and it
worked well. What about other methods of oxidation? I need one that
allows to oxidize thiol to acid leaving double bond intact. Any would
be welcome.

Regards,

--
Witek
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/

_______________________________________________ ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to everybody$##$orglist.net To unsubscribe, send to everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message: unsubscribe your_orglist_password your_address List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)