Re: ORGLIST:wittig or other methylenation

From: Christopher Joseph Gorman (cjgorman$##$sas.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 11:40:14 EDT

????

The Wittig would not normally react with enoate functionality.

And I don't know about the Takai, but the Tebbe *would* be able to methylate at
the enoate carbon, possibly even selectively.

Hope that helps!

CJG

> I need to do Wittig reaction (methylenation) with aldehyde which contains
> also enoate function (-CH=CH-CO2Me) on the other side of the chain.
>
> OHC-CH(OBn)-CH(OBn)-CH(OBn)-CH=CH-CO2Me
>
> Can you suggest more selective than conventional Wittig reagent for aldehyde
> function or different conditions which would not cause reactions with
> enoate.
>
> (Tebbe and Takai reagents are being studied)

> Oleg N. Nadein
> nadein$##$nmt.edu
> Chemistry Department
> New Mexico Tech
> Socorro, NM 87801

> List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)

"The nature of the truth is fundamentally biased by the nature of our
experience."
      --C.J. Gorman (from personal email greeting)