Re: ORGLIST:para-formaldehyde -> formaldehyde

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 10:20:37 EDT

Hello Bruce

A strong aqueous acid liberates the aldehyde. It now depends what do
you want to do with it. You may distillate some or you may work in the
same acid solution. An example of the latter is found in one of the
collective volumes of Org. Synth. (possibly the first one) in the
presence of acrylonitrile, to get on the spot
2,4,6-triacryloylhexahydro-1,3,5-triazine. Beware of touching or
breathing formaldehyde.

All the best,

Jacob

Prof. Jacob Zabicky