ORGLIST:problem of reduction

From: stephanie (roulle.stephanie$##$wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 15:28:01 EDT

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with a reduction. I want to reduce an ester to an alcohol with LiAlH4 / THF. The reaction is perfect but my problem is the treatment. The alcohol obtained is very cristalline and insoluble in all solvant. It precipitate when I treat my reaction.
I tried to hydrolyse with HCl and extract with dichloromethane and there is precipitation. I also tried to hydrolyse with Na2SO4 with water and also precipitation and I cannot separate Na2SO4 and the obtained alcohol. I tried at last to hydrolyse with THF/water, there is also precipitation, I evaporate the THF and put isopropanol and filtrate. The problem is that my yield is over 100% because I have also aluminium hydroxyde and I cannot separate them of my product.
Can anybody help me please ???

            stephanie