Re: ORGLIST:Tannin identification?

From: Buddy hi (hi_buddy03$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 19:14:16 EDT

Hi Ralf, I think this test is not specific for tannins because i carried out the test for tanninc acid, gallotannin,condensed tannin,catechin,Morin,Rutin & Quercitine dihydrate. I expected only only tanninc acid, gallotannin & condensed tannin to show positive test but even catechin & Morin showed the test positive but showm negative by Rutin & Quercitine dihydrate. I think i need a specific test for tannins and not others. If you can think of let me know

Ralf.Moeller$##$ForestResearch.co.nz wrote:

Hi Buddy,

a very convenient histochemical test to detect condensed tannins is the
vanillin-test. Treat your sample with a solution of 10% (w/v) vanillin in
ethanol. Mix with 1 vol of conc. HCl. Tannins give a red colour reaction.
Anthocyanins can interfere with the vanillin test, because they also give a
red colour reaction at low pH. To check for the presence of anthocyanins
treat your sample with conc. HCl.

cheers

Ralf

______________________
Ralf Möller, PhD
Scientist
Forest Research, Cellwall Biotechnology Centre
Private Bag 3020, Rotorua, New Zealand

Buddy hi
.com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: ORGLIST:Tannin identification?
everybody-admin$##$o
rglist.net

29/05/2004 08:59

how can I identify tannin or higher polymeric flavonoid using any kind of
chemical or spectroscopy test but not biological?

Do you Yahoo!?
_