Re: ORGLIST:Nitro/epoxide reduction selectivity

From: Christopher Joseph Gorman (cjgorman$##$sas.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 07:32:37 EDT

Just convert your terminal epoxide to an acetal if you are worried about
protecting it.

Catalytic hydrogenation wouldn't normally affect an epoxide anyway.

You are trying to reduce the nitro group into an amine, I assume? (I don't mean
to pry).

Best,

CJG

> >Dear all,
> >
> >We are looking for a selective catalyst which allows us to reduce an
> >aromatic nitro group by catalytic hidrogenation without affecting a
> >terminal epoxide. The books and papers we have seen don\'t offer good
> >alternatives. Can anybody give some advice?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >Dr. Jacobo Cruces
> >Research Manager
> >GalChimia, S.L.
> >Cebreiro, s/n
> >15823 O Pino
> >A Coruņa - SPAIN
> >
> >Phone: +34 981 814 506
> >Fax: +34 981 814 507
> >Home: www.galchimia.com
> >--------------------------------------------------------------
> >CONFIDENTIALITY: please read carefully.
> >
> >The above mail may contain confidential or proprietary information
> >belonging to GalChimia and is disclosed subject to the recipient receiving
> >this message and respecting the confidential nature of the contents, unless
>
> >otherwise stated.
> >
> >This mail is intended to be transmitted exclusively to the address or
> >addresses whose names are specified above. If you are not the intended
> >recipient of this message you are requested to notify the sender or any of
> >the Officers of the GalChimia company, at the address given above. You are
> >also advised that any dissemination of said information, in any form or
> >media, is strictly prohibited.

> >List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)

> List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)

"The nature of the truth is fundamentally biased by the nature of our
experience."
      --C.J. Gorman (from personal email greeting)