ORGLIST:THF again

From: Hamilton M. Viana (hmviana$##$uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 20:42:36 EDT

Dear friends,

Some time ago I write asking the best way to dry THF with 2000 ppm of water. I need THF with 100 ppm of water.

I tried molecular sieve inside a beaker and I got good results, but isn´t workable in huge quantities!

This THF come from a recovering process: sodium, THF and naphtalene are mixed to form a complex used to atack PTFE surface.

After that, the solution is mixed with water in order to destroy the complex and after a phase separation, THF, water and with naphtalene mixture are distilled.

THF and water form a azeotropic mixture with 4% water content.

Do you think destilate the faction of distilled THF (2000 ppm of water) over metalic sodium could be dangerous?

Any idea to help the recovering?

Thanks in advance!

Hamilton