ORGLIST:Benzylic Oxidation of Methylated Polyhalogenated Cresol

From: support$##$cussyn.com
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 10:08:46 EST

Greetings,

I am looking for a decent method for making 2-Bromo-4-chloro-
5-methoxy-benzoic acid from 1-Bromo-5-chloro-4-methoxy-2-
methyl-benzene by direct oxidation. We have tried standard
Chromium and KMnO4 based methods but they all suffer from
poor yields. I would appreciate any suggestions. If anyone
has another suggestion for an easy route from cheap available
materials I would appreciate it. I

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Senior Chemist