ORGLIST:ammonium compounds

From: Michael Engel (michael-engel$##$ma.dic.co.jp)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 19:11:56 EST

Hello
is someone of you experienced in the analysis of simple ammonium compounds ?
I am trying to find out if a NH3 smelling white product contains one or all
of the compounds below:

ammonium carbamate
CAS#: 1111-78-0
http://www.aist.go.jp/RIODB/SDBS/sdbs/owa/sdbs_sea.cre_frame_disp?sdbsno=367
7
http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/anorganika/ammonium/ammoniumcarba
mat.htm?id=V00-iNcjS4_U.bsf11D

ammonium carbonate
506-87-6
http://www.aist.go.jp/RIODB/SDBS/sdbs/owa/sdbs_sea.cre_frame_disp?sdbsno=194
8
BASF says it is actually a mixture of 1 and 3
http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/anorganika/ammonium/ammoniumcarbo
nat.htm?id=iNcjS4_U.bsf11D

ammonium bicarbonate
1066-33-7
http://www.aist.go.jp/RIODB/SDBS/sdbs/owa/sdbs_sea.cre_frame_disp?sdbsno=162
24
http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/anorganika/ammonium/abc_trieb.htm
?id=iNcjS4_U.bsf11D

You can see, that IR cannot easily distinguish between 1 and 2.
13C NMR can show me the presence of 1. I am not sure about an NMR of 2
(D2O). I will try.

Are there any methods, apart from volumetry etc, which I should consider ?

Thank you very much in advance.
Michael Engel

p.s. a question in general: as soon as I have something "inorganic" to
analyze I feel a little bit helpless,
are there real "must know, must have" books which deal with/concentrate on
the analysis of inorganic compounds;
general chemistry is so long back. Thank you.