Re: ORGLIST:N-(benzoyl)-L-glutamic acid synthesis

From: Sandra Bartoli (S.BARTOLI$##$soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:21:06 EST

You can try and use sonication and NaHCO3 as a base, but do not use the chloride, use the anhydride.
1 eq. H-Glu-OH
1 eq. anhydride
4 eq. NaHCO3
Solvent: MeOH or water, strange but true.
Sonication for 4-5 h.
It works very well with acetic and boc anhydride so you might try it, it is a very simple procedure.
Otherwise you might try using a different base like DMAP or NEt3, as you suggested. I think NaOH is not the best choice of base for the labile benzoyl group, but this is my opinion.

Good Luck.