ORGLIST:i need a better method

From: roserina rina (nezrose_pure$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 01:06:33 EST

Dear All...
I have a problem in synthesing such diketone compound, I have used methyl salicylic and acetophenone as starting materials..and have reacted them in NaOH solvent and refluxed it under 80 degree Celcius, but it didnt work...In addition the reaction based on Claisen Condensation .So I want to ask...Is there another better method for this reaction? Should I protect the hydroxy group from metyl salicilyc compound or not....before react it with acetophenone?
Thank you so much for all of your concern.
sincerely
Roserina