ORGLIST: Synthesis of alkyl halides

From: Alejandro Lalo (cocoroc9$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 20:29:22 EST

Dear members:
In the synthesis of tert-butyl chloride from
tert-butanol the alcohol reacts with HCl at room
temperature. However, to synthesize n-butyl chloride
from n-butanol I must use HCl and ZnCl2 and heat the
reaction mixture. I want to know which is the
mechanism in the second case and what is the function
of the ZnCl2 in the reaction?