ORGLIST: Peter Sykes References

From: Ashutosh (ashujo$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 09:07:30 EDT

Hello!
As everyone knows, Peter Sykes' 'Guidebook to reaction
mechanism' is one of the best books of all time to
learn reaction mechanism.As you might have noticed,
whenever there is a mechanism to be proved, Sykes
gives very interesting examples of how it was proved
using experiments with isotope labelling,spectroscopy,
and so on.These explanations pervade all the
chapters.The experiments are very interesting, but
unfortunately Sykes does not give any references to
the original papers dealing with those experiments.
Can anyone please tell me whether I can get references
for Sykes' book anywhere?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Ashutosh Jogalekar
Department of Chemistry,
University of Pune,
India

=====
"In every investigation, in every extension of knowledge, we're involved in action. And in every action
we're involved in choice. And in every choice we're involved in a kind of loss, the loss of what we didn't
do. We find this in the simplest situations. . . . Meaning is always obtained at the cost of leaving things
out. . . . In practical terms this means, of course, that our knowledge is always finite and never all
encompassing. . . . This makes the world of ours an open world, a world without end. "
J. Robert Oppenheimer