Re: ORGLIST: info on antidote

From: Fredrik Thorstensson (freto$##$ifm.liu.se)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 07:40:10 EDT

## Antidote to methanol ##

ETHANOL!

If you give ordinary liquor to a methanol poisoned man, the liver will
metabolize the ethanol first and thus will the methanol just pass the
body. When methanol is metabolized you get formic acid and the the blood
pH decreases until you reach dangerous levels and the victim gets acidos
and eventually dies.

So the antidote is ordinary liqour, booze, ethylalcohol, spirits,
ethanol = CH3CH2OH.

/FT