ORGLIST: Removal of Quaternary Ammonium Salt from Ethyeneglycol

From: antonio regla (areglac$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 21:05:26 EDT

Dear List Members:

I have ran a tosylation reaction of ethylene glycol, in order to obtain the mono-tosylate, and at the end of the reaction, I end up with an excess of ethylene glycol, I isolated the monotosylate by extraction with methylene chloride, which is insoluble in ethylene glycol. I would like to recycle the ethylene glycol, however, it contains the hydrochloride salt of pyridine, or triethylamine, whichever base was used in the tosylation, to tie up the hydrochloric acid liberated. Does anyone know, how could I remove pyridinium hydrochloride from ethylene glycol? or triethylammonium chloride from ethylene glycol? I would appreciate any information you may provide.

Sincerely,

Antonio Regla

School of Pharmacy, Universidad Autonoma de Morelos

Cuernavaca, Mexico