ORGLIST: reduction of 3-nitroso-2-oxazolidone

From: antonio regla (areglac$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 20:26:39 EDT

Dear list members:

I am trying to reduce 3-nitroso-2-oxazolidone to the 3-amino-2-oxazolidone, I've tried several reducing agents without much success, and the latest one is quite puzzling to me, it is hydrazone hydrate, I found a procedure for the reduction of this nitroso compound in an Spanish Patent, and the procedure seems to be quite forward, however, I've not been getting reduction. I have done some checking in the chemical literature and have found that nitro groups have been reduced with hydrazine, and involve the use of catalysts like Pd. If no catalyst is used, high temperatures are involved, and I would be afraid to use such drastic conditions. Does anyone know of a procedure to reduce N-nitroso compounds to N-amino compounds with hydrazine that doesn't involve the use of expensive catalysts or high temperatures. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Antonio Regla

Universidad Autonoma del Edo. de Morelos

School of Pharmacy

Cuernavaca, Mexico