Re: ORGLIST: How to analyse hypobromous acid, HOBr, in water?

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 10:15:25 EDT

At 12:35 13/8/1, J.Aires de Sousa wrote:
>From: "Svdergerd, Helmer"<Helmer.Sodergard$##$kemira.com>

Hello Heimer,

A few comments about your querry. The citations of old literature are from
memory and I cannot confirm them at the moment:

1. All analyses at the stipulated limits of detection (LOD) of 0.06 nM are
quite difficult to carry out and require high analytical quality to be
reliable.

2. I'm not quite sure, but probably very low concentrations of Br2 in water
are extensively hydrolyzed to HOBr + HBr, in analogy to chlorine in water.
This makes it difficult to distinguish a Br2 fron a HOBr. Other reactions
may also interfere, such as autooxidation of bromide ion in solution, aided
perhaps by illumination.

3. Some relevant analytical procedures may be mentioned in Cevidali's
"Bromine and its compounds," a classical opus on bromine.

4. Heiman? (or Haiman, or Heyman, or Hayman?) of the Hebrew University in
Jerusalem did important work on hypohalo acids in the 19-fifties. Perhaps
her analytical methods fit your demands.

5. The following reference, not exactly to the point, may lead to desired
sources: T. Watanabe et al., Anal. Chim. Acta, vol. 341, p. 257ff (1997).

6. Chloramine T can be used for determination of low concentrations of Br2.
I'm not sure about the LOD. I think somebody sells kits for such
colorimetric analyses in Great Britain.

All the best,

Jacob

>Any ideas how to analyse hypobromous acid, HOBr, in water?
>Required detection limit = 6 nanograms/liter (=0,006 micrograms/liter)
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Sincerely,
>Helmer Sodergard
>Finland
>List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (jas$##$mail.fct.unl.pt)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Prof. Jacob Zabicky
Institutes for Applied Research
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Private: POB 12366, Beer-Sheva 84863
POB 653, Beer-Sheva 84105, ISRAEL Tel. 972-8-6496792
http://profiler.bgu.ac.il/site/main.cfm
Tel. 972-8-6461271/6461062/6472754
Fax. 972-8-6472969
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x