Re: ORGLIST: imine refuses phosphite

From: Witek Mozga (mozga$##$trimen.pl)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 15:56:55 EDT

> The imine is not necessarily an intermediate in that reaction.
> (simply throw together your aldehyde, the amine and the phosphite like you
> would do for a Mannich-reaction)

I knew that and did so. But it still did not work. However I guess I have
an evidence that imine can be an intermediate in that reaction. I
prepared imines from both amine and aldehyde with different (less
hindered) counterparts and those imine worked with phosphite
smoothly. According to me this observation means that steric
hindrance is the limiting factor here.

Witek Mozga

mozga$##$trimen.pl
mozgaw$##$rocketmail.com