ORGLIST: brine vs. water

From: Witek Mozga (mozga$##$trimen.pl)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 03:29:58 EDT

Hello,

Using brine to wash the solvent that was used to extract a reaction
product from water is well known . I guess that one reason of such
procedure is to pre-dry solvent. It seems obvious that brine should
be used during the last wash. However not in case of nucleotides.
I recently talked to two people working in nucleotides chemistry
and was astonished to hear they always washed the solvent with
water after brine. They couldn`t explain why but claimed that it is
established so in case of nucleotides. This seems illogical. Why
saturate once again with water the solvent that have already been
dried?

Can anybody explain this discrepancy to me?
I understand that brine can also be used to destroy emulsions but
my question regards its drying properties.

Best Regards,

Witek