ORGLIST: Biological Reactions

From: Ashutosh (ashujo$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:56:02 EDT

Consider a metabolic pathway like the TCA (Krebs' Cycle)
In this cycle, in various reactions,
sometimes ADP and sometimes GDP function as phosphate acceptors.
sometimes NAD+ and sometimes FADH function as H acceptors

My general question is, not only in this but several other biological =
reactions, which factors decide the exact molecules (eg.whether GDP or =
ADP) that function as oxidising or reducing or any other agents?

The factors that I can think of are free energy changes, proximity of =
enzyme-substrates (symphoria) , Michaelis Menten constants of =
enzymes,solvation effects etc.
But I am not sure.Are there any other factors at work?
Thanks

Ashutosh Jogalekar
University of Pune
India