ORGLIST: Chloride to Hydroxide form of Dowex

From: Thanasis Gimisis (gimisis$##$jolly.bo.cnr.it)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 13:15:43 EST

Dear Orglist members,

In J. Org. Chem. 1981, 46, 2819-2823 is mentioned in the experimental that:
...the aqueous layer was applied to a column of Dowex 1x2 (200-400
mesh, OH form) and washed with water and developed with 2% acetic
acid...
We need to repeat it but we find in the market only the Chloride form
of 1x2(200-400mesh) Dowex 1 (strongly basic anion exchanger in Gel
form)
Is it possible to exchange Cl for OH? Is washing with 4N NaOH
enough? Could you give me a procedure/reference or any other input?

Thanks in Advance
--
Dr Thanasis Gimisis, Lecturer
Organic Chemistry Laboratory