ORGLIST: Ethylene Oxide Generator

From: antonio regla (areglac$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 09:56:32 EST

Dear List Members:

I am interested in generating ethylene oxide in the laboratory. I understand this is a readily available compound in industrialized countries, but it is not so in third world countries such as Mexico, even though we are partners in NAFTA. It is very difficult to get a hold of gaseous reagents, and I was wondering if it was possible to make it in situ in order to be used right away in typical epoxide ring opening reactions with nucleophiles. I would appreciate any help I may get.

Best regards,

Antonio Regla