ORGLIST: RE: Help: Periodic Table in Braille

From: Michael Engel (michael-engel$##$ma.dic.co.jp)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:47:51 EST

I had forwarded the request to CHMINF, a very important mailing list for
chemists:

CHMINF-L Archives (also to join, leave, etc.)
http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html

I have got 4 answers.

Bob Buntrock asked me to send his comments about the periodic table in
Braille to ORGLIST too.
I've also added the three other answers.

-----Bob Buntrock's Original Message-----
My wife is a certified Braillist and a former president of the National
Braille Association (the other NBA). As you know, there are many
different versions of the Periodic Table, but she has a fairly standard
version on disk. She can emboss it and have a Braille print version in
the mail to you on Monday. Please let us know if this will be
satisfactory.

Just out of curiosity, is your student using Braille or tape for other
chemistry class materials -- or both?

-- Bob & Gloria Buntrock
Buntrock Associates, Inc.
Princeton, MN 55371
763-389-8370
buntrock2$##$EARTHLINK.NET
------------------here are the other answers----------------------------
Try:
http://www.tsbvi.edu/braille/
http://www.afb.org/info_document_view.asp?documentid=178
I found these by doing a search for Braille + "periodic table" at
www.google.com
Regards
Phil McHale

Thank you Phil !

On the following web page, there was a photo of a braille periodic
table that seemed to be laid out in columns:
http://www.rutnet.co.uk/customers/scienceshirts/ware.htm
Other places with downloadable Braille periodic tables (no specifics,
so I can't tell how these are laid out):
http://www.tsbvi.edu/braille/index.htm
http://www.viewplustech.com/files_17.html
This last site is a company developing three dimensional models for
chemistry, and it's quite interesting. There was no web address but
here's a phone number: Contour, Inc. 650-969-6263
Hope this helps.
Andrea Twiss-Brooks

Thank you Andrea !