Re: ORGLIST: Normal odor level in an organic lab/

From: Gary Breton (gbreton$##$berry.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 09:31:43 EST

Back in graduate school (which keeps getting further and further back
unfortunately) I once loaned a bottle of tert-butyl thiol to a friend in an
organometallic group two floors below me. He would always visit by way of
the staircase. Before he left, I warned him : "Do NOT open the bottle until
you have it safely in a hood". Well, about 15 seconds after he left, the
stench of the compound descended upon the building, and he came running back
in with the bottle. He admitted to quickly removing the top while still in
the stairwell just to see what it smelt like! Needless to say, the faculty
were not pleased with either of us.

Best regards,

Gary W. Breton
Department of Chemistry