Re: ORGLIST: Normal odor level in an organic lab

From: John S. Roberts (JohnSRoberts$##$worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 21:13:06 EST

Is he just reacting to the normal odor of an organic chemistry lab?
Sometimes you can get people who are a little hyper about things and they
can make your life very miserable. I've had more than my share of those
over the years.

If he's reacting to ppb levels it is not a safety concern. Most sniffers
are looking for flammables or other toxic gases and will not react at the
ppb level. The only way to pick it up is to put in a small pump with a
charcoal adsorbent (commercially available in sealed tubes). Extract the
charcoal with carbon disulfide after hours (8-24 hours) of pumping and check
on a gc-mass spec. We do these fairly regularly.

John Roberts