Re: ORGLIST: attachments

From: Rzepa, Henry (h.rzepa$##$ic.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 09:42:17 EST

>I think there are at least two reasons for being careful when sending
>attachments to ORGLIST. The first is the well-known danger of
>distributing files containing viruses. However, I would say that this
>risk is somewhat lower for .sk2 or .chm files (than for MS Word files,
>for example).
>
>The second point is the size of the attachments. It is perfectly ok with
>the test files you sent with your message. But if everybody start
>sending attachments, I'm afraid we will end up with heavy traffic and
>our daily email full of files.
>
>So before sending a file to the list please check that it is free of
>virus and that the size is acceptable (never larger than 50K).
>
>Another way is to upload the file to ORGLIST ftp site
>(helium.dq.fct.unl.pt) and to announce the name of the file with the
>message (it is accesible to a web browser at
>ftp://helium.dq.fct.unl.pt/filename.xxx ).

May I suggest that the way this is solved on other lists is for the sender
(if they have access to such) to place the file on their own web
server and simply send the link rather than the file. This also ensures
that the MIME type is correctly allocated, so that the file will open
up using the appropriate viewer.

If sent by email the MIME types do not always get allocated correctly
(as was the case with Michael's attachments), remembering of course
that not all platforms resolve these things via registry files.

We actually wrote a "learned" article on precisely all of this about
3 years ago

The Application of Chemical Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
(Chemical MIME) Internet Standards to Electronic Mail and World-Wide
Web information exchange, H. S. Rzepa, P. Murray-Rust and
B. J. Whitaker, J. Chem. Inf. Comp. Sci., 1998, 38, 976-982.
--

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0870) 132-3747 (eFax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY, UK.