ORGLIST: Ring Closing Metathesis

From: Alison og Thomas H°yer (alihoyer$##$mobilixnet.dk)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 18:00:43 EST

I have found RCM to work fine for 5,6,7 and 8 membered rings, and it is =
known from the literature for larger rings.
In my cases, succes of the RCM depended on the substrate being =
thoroughly purified.
The catalyst decomposes rather quickly upon warming, so if the =
conversion doesn't become total in a few hours, there is a problem.
In cases with allylic and homo-allylic substitution, the reaction worked =
just fine.
Perhaps other functional groups in your compounds are the problem.

Removal of the last traces of metal after the reaction is more of a =
problem. I have had no succes in following Paquette's procedure for =
oxidizing Ruthenium in the crude product with lead tetraacetate.
Other suggestions, anybody?

Thomas Hoyer