ORGLIST: Ring Closing Metathesis

From: Sylvie Ducki (sylvie_ducki$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 13:13:59 EST

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to hear about your personal experiences
with the following reaction : the ring closing
metathesis or RCM. In our group we have been trying to
close large size rings (7 to 10-membered rings) using
the Grubbs catalyst or its 4,5-dihydroimidazole
derivative and have been unsuccessful up to now, i.e,
usually no reaction is observed and starting material
is recovered unreacted. Is it because the ring to be
formed is too large? I have seen examples in the
literature where larger rings had been closed. I have
also read that allylic substitutions didn't usually
have much effect on the reaction but what about
allylic and homoallylic substitutions together? Also
practically, do you know of any tricks.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Sylvie Ducki

email. sylvie.ducki$##$yahoo.com