ORGLIST: Platinum

From: Jonas Nilsson (jonni$##$ifm.liu.se)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 03:19:56 EST

Hi
When handling Palladium (5% on activated carbon) in small amounts (<10mg),
my experience tells me that there is seldom any problem with spontanious
combustion, and the need for caution is quite limited.

Now, I need to use Platinum (5% on activated carbon) and there is a large
warninglabel stating spontanious combustion on the package. Is the need for
caution more pronounced for Platinum than for Palladium?

And another question:
Is there a general trend of activity or selectivity that you know of using
Palladium or Platinum for catalytic hydrogenation. The functionalities which
are the concern are Cbz protectiongroups, aldehydes, imines and hydrazones.
Any difference in reactivity using Pd or Pt?

/jN
| Jonas Nilsson | | |
|Linkoping University | | Telephone |
| Dept. of Chemistry | | work: +46-13-285690 |
| 581 83 Linkoping | | fax: +46-13-281399 |
| Sweden | | home: +46-13-130294 |