ORGLIST: Reformatsky reaction

From: priya joshi (joshipgk$##$hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:03:52 EST

Hello

I am Ms. Priya Joshi from Department of Chemistry, University of Pune,
India.

I am having some trouble while doing Reformatsky reaction on
5-benzofurancarboxaldehyde-7-methoxy-2-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl. This
benzaldehyde does not dissolve in ether or benzene except in THF. Hence
reaction was done in THF by reacting this benzaldehyde with organozinc
reagent formed by the reaction of Zn(activated) and ethyl bromoacetate.
Starting compound was recovered even after 3-4 h of refulx (under N2
atmosphere).

It would be great help if some one could possibly tell where I went wrong.

Thanks in Advance.

Priya Joshi