ORGLIST: Imidate from a nitrile

From: Merlin (medchem$##$adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 06:44:19 EST

Dear colleagues:

Currently I am attempting to isolate an imidate from a nitrile using Pinner
reaction conditions. My question is: is there any way to EFFECTIVELY isolate
the imidate itself without forming the ester upon neutralization? Currently
I am using sat. NaHCO3 which does produces the ester (albeit in small
concentrations), yet is there a method to neutralize the solution by
ANHYDROUS conditions?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers!
--