Re: ORGLIST: Azeotropes

From: Yuehui Zhou (yuehuizhou$##$hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 10:27:15 EST

If you CAN'T remove the organic solvents completely, then it's exactly
what azetrope means. A mixture of two liquids A and B, if it reaches a
certain ratio, say A 60% and B 40%, they behave like one liquid at
distillation and will be evaporated at the same ratio. If one of them
is in excess, the excess part of liquid must be distilled at first
then A and B will distilled at the ratio 60% and 40%. That means in
your case, you have to evaporated every component in order get rid of
the rest A or B.

Azeotrope point is when a mixture of two components has no difference
in the ratio of the components both in liquid phase and in gaseous
phase.

Yuehui Zhou
University of Toronto, Mississauga